twitter.com/jhawthorn | @email@example.com | github.com/jhawthorn | firstname.lastname@example.org | PGP: 3743BC1E8B9DB1D9
👋 Hi! I’m John Hawthorn
I’m a 💎 Ruby committer, on the 🚋 Rails core team, and on the Ruby Architecture team at GitHub. I most like working on performance, hopefully I’ve made your code run faster too 🤗
Some of my personal open source projects:
fzy is a fast and simple fuzzy text finder for the terminal. I wote fzy wanting a faster and more consistent algorithm than was available at the time, other tools have since adopted my algorithm. Fun fact: If you press
t to find files in a GitHub repo that’s fzy!
discard provides a simple soft-delete pattern for ActiveRecord.
meh is a fast image viewer for X11 using raw XLib.
I dabble in electronics ⚡:
⌨️ I designed a USB controller to modernize Model M keyboards.
⌨️ I hand wired an ergodox-style keyboard
☕ I built an MQTT-enabled temperature controller for my espresso machine
- Eliminating delays on ESC in vim and zsh
- Ruby spreadsheet hack for whyday
- Squeezing performance out of CUDA
- Speed up your rails startup time
- Work, work. Zug zug.
- Dealing with the MySQL slow log on Amazon RDS
- Introducing the dkim gem
- Switching from Jekyll to nanoc
- Minecraft to IRC bridge
- Prevent Hanging sshfs Connections
- Using Rails URL helpers outside of views and controllers
- Hibernate with reboot on Linux
- Android Cloud to Device Messaging
- Rails redirect plugin
- Friendly SQLite output
- Rails logging to console
- Restoring data on rooted Rogers Dream phones
- Extracting images from a PDF
- meh 0.3